You are worth protecting.
- · If it makes you uncomfortable, don’t do it. This is the time to be selfish about caring for yourself. It isn’t being rude, it isn’t being wrong. You have to be a little rough around the edges to protect yourself sometimes, care enough to do it-because your health and happiness isn’t worth you being polite. You are worth protecting.
- · Take time out for YOU. I am a huge people person, but I need my alone time. A lot of it. Take time for a hot shower or bath, a cup of tea and a book. Chill in your sweats and TURN OFF YOUR PHONE. This quiet time is good for you and your soul and gives you time to think and re-charge. You are worth protecting.
- · Beware of movies, TV Shows and music. I used to LOVE some seriously heavy metal music. A lot of dark rock, angry sounding stuff. But I realized that that sound, and the lyrics (even though sometimes you can’t understand what the heck they are saying) are damaging and you don’t even realize it. Movies are the same thing. I love Disney. I cannot do torture scenes, babies dying and women being beaten anymore. And I shouldn’t have to. Neither should you. Check the ratings on movies before you see them in the theater. Go with someone who loves you and whom you feel safe with. Choose subjects that will not cause a trigger for you, and do NOT try to force yourself to watch those things. I did for a long time. I thought I needed to be “tough” and “just watch them.” That is not the case. It is harmful. You are worth protecting.
- · You have been through enough. Because of the violence that has been done to you, you will be more inclined to hang out with people who will hurt you as well or who are unhealthy. I know it sounds weird, but it is so easy to let happen. Protect yourself and make good choices about who you hang out with, and trust. Choose healthy, and caring people who don’t drink and do drugs. It will only ease the pain for a while before destroying you. You are the company you keep. You are worth protecting.
- · Take care of your body. Eat healthy, don’t do fad diets and don’t starve yourself. It doesn’t help, I’ve tried. Drink lots of water, and try to get a good night’s sleep. If you have troubles with the dark and sleeping (I still do) Ask your doctor about natural sleep aids and breathing exercises. Take care of yourself. You are worth protecting.